Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday Singin' and looking ahead to this week.

Today, well in the morning after I get up, I am so blessed to be able to sing the most wonderful song at church. Don is still out gigging, and I am supposed to be sleeping. But I am not. I am thinking about the song I get to sing. It is called "You Did That For Me" and is from the Sara Groves album "All Right Here". The song was written by Jonell Moser and Pierce Pettis.

I love this song. I have sung this song with the cd for many years, and cried every time. I am one of those girls who cries when I sing, especially if the lyrics really touch my heart. But these words are so powerful yet simple. Today, we celebrate "Palm Sunday", the day that Jesus rode through Jerusalem on a donkey and the people waved palm branches to celebrate him as royalty. However in just a few days, we will be remembering His last meal with His friends, His betrayal, His trial, and His death. Yes, just next Sunday, we will celebrate Easter, when Jesus defeated sin, death and the grave. But I am not ready to get there yet. I love Holy Week. I love to walk through the week, reminding myself of just what Jesus willingly gave.

I love the fellowship of Maundy Thursday, when Jesus spent time with His friends, enjoying their company, yet having to face the fact that one that He loved so very much, would betray Him. This Maundy Thursday, Don and I will be at church doing dress rehearsal for the Easter services. What a wonderful place to be!

I am hoping on Good Friday to be at a "Service of Darkness" focusing on the last words of Jesus. I have been blessed in the years past to be involved in these types of services, which are so beautiful and provide such focus on the gift of Jesus' life for us.

The waiting, the vigil, on Holy Saturday, waiting for Sunday...........

And then, The JOY of Easter Sunday. More of my thought to come on this. But here are the words.

"You Did That For Me"

I don't have to cry anymore
I don't have to worry about what's in store
I've walked that road exhausted and poor
I don't have to cry anymore

And I don't have to know it all
I don't have to be so proud and stand so tall
I climbed that mountain only to fall
I don't have to know it all

You did that for me
Oh, you did that for me
You wore the chains so I could be free
Yeah, yeah
You did that for me

And I don't have to be ashamed
Hang my head or shoulder the blame
Wondering if my life's been in vain
I don't have to be ashamed

Oh, you did that for me
Oh, you did that for me
You wore the chains so I could be free
Yeah, yeah
You did that for me

Man of sorrows
Well acquainted with grief
Drug down to the city dump
Spread eagle on a cross beam
Propped up like a scarecrow
Nailed like a thief
There for all the world to see

You wore the chains so I could be free
Yeah, yeah
Oh Lord, you did that for me
Oh Lord, you did that for me, You wore the chains so I could be free


I think I have now sung this song enough that I can get through it without crying. Maybe. Maybe not. But I am so very, very grateful for what Jesus did for me. And He did it for you too.

1 comment:

April said...

Sivje - this is wonderful! I'm so glad you told me about it.