This is just a quick update on the dress. I have much to do, but since I am drafting my own pattern and basically winging it, I thought you may enjoy seeing progress.
Please excuse the yellow tank top on the dress form. It is much more pin-able than the ugly gray fabric cover. I plan to make a pretty cover to match my sewing area, but that will have to wait until after the prom.
This is actually the second bodice. The first was made by me just pinning fabric to the dress form, set at India's measurements, and then totally marked up with white fabric pen. After I got it to fit, I took the original pieces apart and made the pattern pieces. I am sorry I did not take a picture of the first one, as it was quite hilarious! This looks pretty lumpy, but it fits on India's body better.
These were the pattern pieces I drafted from cutting apart the first draft bodice. Even these pieces have been changed now. But they were a good starting place. I used artist tracing paper because I like how transparent it is.
This is a side view of the bodice. It is actually quite smooth, though the taffeta reflects every ray of light. I sewed a non-woven interfacing to each piece to give it body. I felt this would lay smother on her body, especially when the back is laced up.
I made tubes of the taffeta, and cut into loops, sewn and secured on the back of the bodice. There will be a back piece underneath these so that her back is not visible. But at least this shows how the back will lace together. The ribbon is double faced satin ribbon which miraculously, matched the fabric perfectly.
Next step......I need to figure out how I want to make the little cap sleeves for the shoulders. This is a challenge because India is working after school, and then I have "Kindergarten Roundup" this evening. Fitting this dress is a challenge because the live body and the seamstress are rarely in the same room at the same time. Thank God for an adjustable dress form.
More updates to come.......