Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sweet Dress with Candy Shop Pocket Tutorial



How sweet is this? 

A simple little a-line dress with tucks at the neckline
and candy shop pockets.

Remember this?


I received several requests for a tutorial on this little pocket.

And since I pretty much just made it up, I decided to 
show you how I did it. 

It is much easier than it looks and so worth the extra effort.

I mean, after all, a girly girl needs big pretty pockets in which to carry
her pretty rocks, tiny pencils, and chap stick.


So, the first thing you need to do is to make your pattern pieces.

I used a manila envelope because the paper is stiffer and the right size.



My pockets are sized to fit Ahnalin's dresses, which are
a size 6 in length. 
If you are making a smaller size, you can 
make your pocket pieces smaller.

I apologize that the numbers are so small, but I can't seem to 
resize the font on the numbers here.

The pocket is 8" wide and 5 1/2" deep.
So, draw a rectangle in those dimensions.
I laid a small round plate
on top of the rectangle I drew, so I could round out the lower corners on the pocket.


Then draw your pocket band and pocket form. 
(I have no idea why there is a pink square on each of these!)

The band is 1 1/2 inches deep and  4 7/8" wide.

The pocket form is 4 7/8" wide and 5 1/2" deep.


Lay your pattern pieces on your fabric and cut out
either 1 or 2 of each piece depending on how many pockets you want.
These pockets are unlined.

Sew your rickrack or piping to the band, stitching 1/4" from the edge.

Then, using your longest stitch length, 
sew gathering threads at 1/4" and 1/2" from the edges
on the pocket piece.


Pin the band edge to the top of the pocket piece, with the 
rickrack sandwiched between the band and the pocket.


Now, pull those threads at the top of the pocket 
to fit the band, and stitch in place, using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Now press the band flat, with the seam allowance toward the band.
Then fold the top edge of the band down, 1/4".


Now, fold the band back over to the front of the pocket,
so that the folded edge of the top of the band is even with the sewn
edge of the band.
Pin these in place at the corners.

Stitch the right and left hand sides of the band, with a 1/4" seam and
trim the corners.

Then turn the band right-side-out so that the 
seams are all inside the band.


Now, lay your pocket form piece on top of the wrong side of your pocket,
tucking the top of the pocket form into the folded band.

Pull up the gathering threads around the pocket form.
Now, even out the gathers around the pocket form, so that you have 
a uniform shape.


You can hand stitch the band down, or topstitch it in place.


Now, lay your pocket on dress where you want it and start pinning.
Make sure that as you pin, you are pinning close to the gathers.
You will need to pull quite a bit of the fabric
toward the center of the pocket.


Stitch your pocket in place, stitching at close
to the gathered edge as you can. 
I use my "stitch in the ditch" foot for this.


Because you have stitched the gathered edge down,
the pocket "poofs" out, 
giving the pocket a "bag of candy" effect.


Did I mention these pockets were perfect for collecting rocks?

Ask me how I know....


Ahnalin wore this dress to church on Sunday
and our dear friend Melody gave 
her the CUTEST pig purse that she had crocheted just for Ahnalin.

Thank you Melody. We LOVE it!


When we got home from church, I asked
Ahnalin to let me take some pictures
and she put up with me for about 5 minutes.
Then she started freaking, saying that lizards
were running over her feet. 


She is standing on one foot here because she thinks
she has "lizard gunk" on her feet. 

So, we were done with pictures!

About the dress,
my friend Janet Gilbert, a smocking genius, 
and fellow "China Mom" sent me this darling 
cupcake fabric.
I had been saving it for just the perfect dress,
and managed to squeeze this simple "A-line" style
and pockets out of just 1 yard.

I cut the neck several inches wider than normal so that I could 
sew the tucks in the bodice area. 
I used some vintage brown rick rack, 
and then the pockets were the only other embellishment.
I LOVE this little dress.


I hope this tutorial for my "Candy Shop Pockets" is 
helpful to you. 
They really are fun to make. 
If you have any questions, 
please leave your email address in your comments and 
I will do my best to answer you. 

HRH and I are going away to San Francisco this weekend to celebrate
his birthday (yesterday) and our 22nd wedding anniversary (Saturday).
So if you don't hear from me right away, I will get back to you on Sunday night.


Happy Sewing!

11 comments:

Debby said...

Very cute little dresses. I love the fabrics. Happy
Birthday to your husband and Happy
Anniversary.

Laurie said...

Love the pocket along with the dress, the fabric and of course the girl! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Babe, I love your instructions. You are so very very patient in your teaching. I certainly know you did not learn that from your mommie:)!! You are such a wonderful daughter and we pray you have a great wonderful weekend with "the man in your life that makes you so happy"!!!! The one and only HRH (Hot Rockin Honey). Our little model adds so much cuteness to the dresses. Love you mucho

Jessica said...

Thanks for the tutorial, these pockets are adorable, going to try some on a dress for my little girl!

Sewconsult said...

Cute pocket, cute dress and the CUTEST model! Great job on the tutorial, too.

Simple Home said...

What a sweet little dress. I love this fabric. My grandmother used to make smocked dresses for me when I was little. My mom made a lot of my dresses, but she didn't smock any of them.
Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on 22 years. Have a wonderful time.
Blessings,
Marcia

nicole said...

Thanks you! I love the look and the instructions are awesome!

Rosieq said...

Love that crazy anonomous lady!!! Anyhow, thank you sew very much for doing the tutorial...now if I can get it to print. Long ways between the computer and the launching pad!

Mona @ la la by mona said...

AWESOME tutorial girlfriend! I do believe I will try this very soon!

And, I saw your Tweet about a bed quilt. Seriously - great minds think alike! I have had some fabric for a bit that I intended just for that. Now, I will actually have to get started. I was just going to make 10-12" squares and call it good, though. That may be enough quilting by the time I am done!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial! And, congrats to both you ladies for all the sweet ribbons. I am still amazed at you both. You're a good momma for teaching your daughters how to sew!

~Regina~ said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I will definitely try this out!!! :)

Rettabug said...

Very cute dress, Goose & a great tut on the darling pockets, too. Thanks!

Enjoy your anniversary/birthday weekend away...you deserve the break.

Oh & congrats on all your ribbons at the fair! I'm proud of both you & Ahnalin!!!