Friday, December 4, 2009

India as Queen Katharine of Aragon



Yes, my Queenly daughter is holding that modern elixir known as a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha with Whipped Cream and Mocha Syrup.

Last night we went to the preview of the Madrigal Dinner. Preview is actually a paid dress rehearsal, but hey, the price was right! India played Queen Katharine of Aragon. Ever since she first heard of the Chamber Choir, and the Madrigal Dinner, she has aspired to play the Queen.  Way back when she was in 7th grade she asked me, "Mama, if I ever get chosen to play the Queen, will you make me an historically accurate gown?"  And of course, me being me, I said "Absolutely!" That was 6 years ago.
And now, as a senior, she is Queen Katharine.
I used Simplicity 2589 as the pattern. I read the pattern reviews and they were all positive.
However, I will admit that I started sewing this dress the day after Thanksgiving, as in 1 week ago.
I have not been feeling well for weeks and have had a fever. So these things may have colored my opinion of this pattern.

All that being said, I HATED THIS PATTERN!!!!!! OH HOW I HATED IT!!!!

If you have been following this blog for very long, you know how I do not like any of my seams to show. I like everything neat and tidy, tucked inside of lining or french seams. Well, that can't be done with this pattern. It made me crazy!!!!
As I showed earlier, the seams all show inside the bodice. UGH!!
Oh, I forgot to say that I shortened the bodice by 1 1/2 inches in length. I also shortened the shoulder pieces, as India has little shoulders.

India is pretty obsessed with "The Tudors"
And she really preferred the french sleeve as opposed to the English over sleeve.  So I drafted a sleeve
to fit her little shoulders and arms.

I have to admit to being partially to blame, after all my years of fascination with the
wives of Henry VIII.
I read a book years ago that started my passion for this time period. 
It is definitely worth reading!
So, India wanted a french sleeve and she got it.
 
This is the back view showing the eyelets and lacing. I had not added the back flap under the lacing yet when I took the picture. There is boning in the front panel and back of the bodice so it holds its shape.

Now, I must apologize because I got on a roll and forgot to take pictures of the rest.
 
I am sorry this is so dark. I am worthless with photo editing so I can't figure how to lighten it up.
But this is India wearing the gown at the dress rehearsal. I left the french sleeve because I LOVED how it looked on her.
However, after talking to my friend who was in charge of costumes, we decided that I needed to add the English over sleeve as it was more regal.


One of my giant frustrations with this pattern was how the voluminous skirt was to be hand gathered and then hand stitched to the bodice. The pattern called for the skirt top to be finished with gingham. So, when the hand gathered skirt is handsewn to the bodice, some of the gingham shows. I have been sewing a million years and there was no way to make this look good!

So, I am going to have to get over myself and realize that India loves the gown. I am going to have a photographer friend take some real portraits of India in her gown
WITHOUT the Starbucks cup in hand.

The fabric was a bolt of red velveteen I bought from Walmart. It was really reasonable, but the little fluffs of velveteen fuzz are EVERYWHERE!
The sleeves and front panel of the underskirt are harvested from some old drapery panels that someone had donated to the costume department.
The rest of the underskirt is stiff muslin. I had purchased all the supplies to make the
corset, farthingale, bum roll and shift. However, after sewing the whole time with a fever, I decided to give my self a break and not sew those. India was really sad though, as she LOVES corsets. So, I will get that done for Christmas for her.

India and her friend Tarney before the show
India has her lady in waiting Erin bowing to her!
India and her King Henry
Queen Katharine greeting Queen Claude of France (India's buddy Laurissa)
King Henry, Queen Katharine, Queen Claude and the King of France


I hope to get more good pictures from a friend who actually knows how to take them!


But the evening was wonderful and the kids did a great job performing.
And I am happy I was able to create yet another of her dream dresses.

13 comments:

Holly Days Closet said...

That is the most amazing dress I've ever seen you did a wonderful job if I could find a way to clap in type I would Bravo!!!
Holly

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job! She looks stunning.

Unknown said...

Headaches aside.. You did an AMAZING job!!!

Mona @ la la by mona said...

I agree - it is beautiful! And so is your lovely daughter! Good job, mom!

Debbie said...

Absolutely stunning! Congratulations on getting the part too India!

Laura L. said...

Wow, what an amazing dress. I am always in awe of your sewing skills. It's just wonderful and she looked so nice.
Looks like it was a great production. Congratulations to both of you. :)

julia said...

My, my, my what an amazing dress!!! You are so very talented my dear!!! India looks absolutely regal in this gorgeous creation!!!!

PaisleyGrove said...

Sivje, What a dream dress. India was stunning. Bravo for such dedication to a project like that. I have sewn only one of "period" dresses before and it ate my lunch. But for beautiful daughters, what wouldn't we do for them. Thanks for becoming a follower. It is neat that we do have the same background and have quite a few things in common. Congratulations to you both.

Jacki said...

That is a such a lovely gown and India looks absolutely stunning in it!!! Very fine work, well done, Sivje!!

Karin said...

for what a fantastic work you've done there!!!
I am thrilled that I never had so get out.

greetings karin

April said...

Spectacular, Sivje! Amazing, amazing, amazing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.