Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Week on the Lake, Vampires and Other Adventures

We arrived home yesterday!

Last Sunday, after working like crazy to get the first draft of the pattern out to testers, the girls and I loaded into my parent's car, along with our pillows, suitcases, I-pods, markers, coloring books and flip-flops. Yes, I took some smocking to do, but did not get much done. I had planned on updating my blog, Facebook and email, but didn't want to battle dial-up on a borrowed computer, so I just didn't.

Don stayed home, and frankly, I think he was looking forward to a week of quiet so he could work on his new CD. He got a lot done and it sounds great, but he was ready for his noisy family to come home yesterday.

So, last Sunday night, we stuffed ourselves into the car and left Grass Valley to head up to Ashland, where we spent the night with my mom's brother and sis-in-love. We got into Ashland at just after midnight and crashed into bed. The next morning, we hugged quick goodbyes and headed out for coffee on our way to Port Angeles, WA.

Now I must explain a few things here....

My parents are amazing travelers. They climb into the car and do not stop until they reach their destination. They may slow down to hit a restroom, switch drivers, or look for whatever is the "Objet de désir" of the trip. However, traveling is very different with me........and the girls, in the car. I do believe we should rename our trip "The Great Restroom Tour of the Western States". Yes. We would get loaded in, carseat and all, drive for a few miles, and then one of us would have to go again. It does not matter that we all went just a few miles back. There are bathrooms to see and we do not want them to feel unappreciated! Girls of the tiny blatter unite!
So, what should have been an eight hour drive, became a 12 hour drive. But hey! We got there in the same 24 hour day! Party on!

This trip was a dream of my mother's and her cousin Darlene for many years. My girls had never met their Washington cousins and, since so many would be graduating high school this coming year, time was getting away from us. So, Darlene and Jim graciously invited us to visit their cozy house on Lake Sutherland and get to know all the cousins.

Cousins Nikita and Madelyn were incredible with Ahnalin, teaching her to swim and fish and never letting on if they were bugged by the constant demands of an inquisitive four-year-old.



Me, wearing the "Lucy's Cloche" hat I tested for Dawn. More on this later. Don't I look cute?

India looked especially "Alice" so I had to take some pics. She loves "Alice in Wonderland".
My cousin Brent gave us a tour of the lake on his boat.

Like so many teenaged girls, India loves the "Twilight" book series. The series happens to be set in Port Angeles as well as the teeny town of Forks. So a tour of the "Twilight Sites" was included in our adventure. Now I must say, and I am sure there will be gasps, but I am not a lover of the "Twilight" books or the movie. Just not my thing...not enough colorful fabric or cheerful music I suppose. However, India was thrilled to see the sights.


Edward's truck


Darlene bought the girls vampire teeth, and then we were given some more at "Sully's Burgers" after we ordered the "Bella Burger".

India glamour posing on Chief Swan's police cruiser at the Forks police station.

The girls outside of the "Cullen House" which was actually a super stinkin' cute bed and breakfast in Forks.
On Thursday, everyone came out to the lake house for dinner, boating and pictures. I saw some cousins I had not seen in probably 25 years, as well as some I had never met.


Darlene, with brothers and sisses-in-love and my parents.


All the kiddos!

Jeremy, India, and Brent will all turn 18 this year. They had never met before this trip!

Jeff, Wendy, me and my cousin Brent


Darlene and my mom on the dock of the lake house
Twins, separated at birth!
They talk the same (FAST!), they drive the same (ALSO FAST!), they shop the same (amazingly frugal and creative) and they both take the world by storm. They are unstoppable!

Yes, that would be my mom, the fabulous Barbara Jean waterskiing on Jeff's boat.

After all the fun of the week on Lake Sutherland, we packed up and headed back to Ashland on Saturday. Yes, we stopped at more restrooms, as well as several discount and tech stores. My Daddy was searching for a certain hard drive for his computer. But we did make it to Eugene in time for dinner at my all time favorite restaurant, Mazzi's. I forgot to take pics! What was wrong with me??? Then we continued to Ashland, where we stayed again with my aunt and uncle.

On Sunday, we went to Lithia park and played on the playground and in the creek.




We love the browsing the shops in town and Ahnalin got to pick out some little babies for her dollhouse because she had done such a good job in waking up dry all week! Yippee!!
Later in the afternoon, we had a bar-b-q at the little park near Trevor and Simone's house. I got to hold new baby Gabe too!




Later that night, Cameron let Ahnalin pet his horses but the pics did not turn out. Sad, because they were so cute.



Then yesterday morning, Garin, Sandra and the kids came over to see us before we left for home. Ahnalin wanted them all on the trampoline, but Cole and India were too cool to jump, I think.


This whole trip was incredible and so very fun. But there was a surprise blessing! Remember when I wrote about my grandmother's old sewing machine? Well, as it turns out, we did not sell it!!! I thought we did, but my aunt and uncle have had it in their garage for years!!!!! So when Don and I get a house again, we are going to bring it home! WOOHOO!!!!! I could not believe it was there all along, waiting for me. Tears of joy!

After that discovery, we loaded up the car and headed home to Grass Valley. We stopped in Corning and loaded up on olives at the Olive Pit. YUMMY!

And we actually arrived home in time for Ahnalin to start swim lessons. YAY! She was a champ. We picked up Kevin because India was just dying to see him.... oh....young love...

So, back to work. I will post some pics of bloomer skirt testers this week! YIPPEEEE!!!!

1 comment:

Serena said...

So sad that you were all within reach and I never knew. Would have love to see you all again, to let the kids say hi and take a few pictures.

From: Serena