Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Change On The Horizon


Change is Exciting!
(and kind of scary)

Let me step back a bit and let you know what is happening
in our family life.

I know I mostly write about sewing, and my kids, and my hubby.

Well, here is a bit more about my hubby.

Before we moved back home to California,
Don had been a full-time music pastor
at several different churches across the U.S. 

As a family, we experienced a great many health difficulties,
several miscarriages, and many adoption
attempts that fell through leaving us heartbroken and 
emotionally and financially depleted.

Our last home, before we moved back to CA,
was a darling historical home in Historic Brownsburg, 
Bucks County, PA. 
The house was infested with bats and black mold,
but I loved it anyway. 

That house affected our health in a very bad way.

So eventually, when Don's parents built their lovely
home in the Sierra Foothills of CA, 
they asked us to move into it with them.
We gratefully accepted!

We have lived here ever since.

In this time, we have dealt with India's multiple diagnoses,
more miscarriages, more adoptions falling through,
Ahnalin's miraculous adoption, 
and then, of course the recession.

We started to attend a wonderful 
and loving church, 
called Twin Cities.

The people of Twin Cities loved on us
and loved us back to wholeness.
They were with us to mourn and 
to celebrate. 
The admonished and encouraged us. 


The showed us in VERY practical ways,
that we were worth more than just
the sum of our talents. 

They were the Hands and Feet of Jesus.


Almost as soon as we walked in the doors of Twin Cities,
we were folded into the arms of the
Celebration Arts Team.

You see, my husband,
and of course I say this COMPLETELY without bias,
is the greatest guitarist who has ever lived.

REALLY!


For 8 years Don played guitar
with the CA band.
And 5 years ago, he was hired
as the band leader.

Dave Bollen, the man on the right in the above picture,
is the Minister of Music at TCC and a very dear friend.
The first picture you see at the top of this post
was taken October 3 at about 6:30 AM,
on our last Sunday as a family at TCC.

Yes, we would arrive to begin rehearsal when the
moon was still out.
I love this place.


Ahnalin is sitting on a little stool on the stage at TCC
at our last morning rehearsal.

She was so sad that it was our last day there as a family.

TCC is the only church she has ever known
and she is fearful of getting to know a new church,
school, town, and friends.

Oh, I forgot to say why I am writing all this!


This is our NEW CHURCH!!

You see, Don was hired to
be the new worship leader of the
Contemporary Service at First Presbyterian Church 
in Santa Rosa, CA!!!!

Yes!!

Somehow, the Lord decided that it was
time for us to make a change.
And a WONDERFUL, EXCITING
change it is!!


Again, COMPLETELY without bias,
I can say that Sonoma County CA is truly the
MOST BEAUTIFUL place on Earth.

For years, Don and I have prayed that
the Lord would someday, in His Grace
and Mercy, provide a way for us to move back to this area.
And we love being in the ministry.
When we heard about this position,
and met the people,
we fell in love.

I mean,
WE FELL IN LOVE!

The people in our new church are loving and genuine and
they LOVE Jesus!

Sure, we have a few details to work out still,
but God has already answered so many prayers
and questions that I know the rest will somehow fall into place.
Last Sunday was our first official Sunday at
First Pres.
Ahnalin was fearful and nervous.
And because I had decided not to sing on Don's first Sunday,
I chose to stay with Ahnalin in her Sunday School class.

India was very sick and she laid down most of the morning but she
was there with us. So we started out at our new church as a
family.


Our dear friends from TCC,
Don and Lola Stamey, came to visit and support us
on our first Sunday.
Afterwards, they treated us to lunch at our
favorite local restaurant,
"Fitch Mountain Eddies" in Healdsburg.

And then, because I promised my friend Laura,
we dropped in to her daughter's
cupcakery called  "Sift" .


  In celebration, we each chose a different flavor
of cupcake and then cut them up
so we could each taste the different flavors.

(To my Prism diet buddies, yes, I tasted them all!)

After this, we drove around neighborhoods
looking for available homes for rent.

We are praying to find the right house
soon so that we can get moved in.

So, how, you may ask,
can you be praying for our family?

Well, thank you for asking!

Please pray for Ahnalin's anxiety during this transition.
She is extremely anxious, and we find that she is
struggling more with her PTSD and RAD than she has
for a very long time.
Please pray she meets a friend.

And for India, who is waiting to hear whether or not
she has been accepted into the Disney College Program.
This change and move is coming right at a time
when she is transitioning to adulthood.
And she is unsure what this will all mean for her.
Please pray that she is accepted into the DCP so that
she at least knows how to plan and pack. We all
feel that the DCP would be a great fit for her.
And please pray for her health.
She has an ulcer right now in addition to her other
medical issues and is so tired of feeling cruddy.

And for my Hot Rockin' Hubby,
please pray for him as he is learning the culture of a new church and job.
Please pray that he would be able to joyfully embrace the mission of
our new church home. He is making friends already with the musicians
in his new band, and I am so grateful for these wonderful people.
He is so excited and happy,
and I am so glad to see him that way!

For me, well for all of us really,
please pray that
God would direct us to the right house.
I am praying for a school where Ahnalin will feel accepted and
eager to learn. She is a great student but so nervous about it all.
I pray that our new home will allow us to get a dog
for our girls, who have begged for one for so many years.
I pray for a home where we can
entertain friends.
I pray for a home with a place for me to set up my sewing.
And mostly I pray that our family will be a family in our new place.

Yes, I know this is a much different post than I usually write.
I will be back to sewing next post.
If you have stuck with me in this post, thank you so much.
I am so grateful for your friendship and encouragement.

So, I have a lot of packing to do, in addition to
sewing some testers for other designers and
some custom items for clients.
I will try to post as often as I can,
but I really do beg for your prayers.

Happy Sewing!

21 comments:

Anita said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!! I'm so glad you finally shared the scoop on your family adventure and so thankful how the Lord is providing for you too! I'll pray for all you've asked and more as the Lord LOVES to give abundantly more than we can even ask or imagine! :) And girlfriend...are you kidding me...Bucks County? I worked there and lived one county up! ;0 OH MY WORD!!

prechrswife said...

Great news! Does this mean we'll see you in the "Fishbowl" again soon? :-) Praying for you!

Smocking with Gwen said...

Sivje,
I'm out of breath reading this. We've never spoken in person but I have a feeling that as you wrote this...it really just came spilling out. Sort of like drinking from a fire hose. I cannot tell you how hopeful I am that your sweet family is settled and loving your new church and community. As a AF wife, I moved 12 times in 29 years and it never was easy or pleasant. My daughter, without fail, would tell us how we had ruined her life, lost her friends....get the picture. Today, she says it was the best thing that ever happened to her. She walks into a crowd and can make friends without hesitation, adjust to different lifestyles and most of all knows that "if it is to be...it's is up to me!"
Blessings and prayers,
with a ((((Hug))),
Gwen

Meredith said...

Wow!!! Congratulations on so many things and prayers to work out the unknowns! (I have to admit when I saw Bucks County - i got a little excited because I thought maybe I could learn to sew from you after all! :-) But, I am SO happy for your new endeavors - they sound just wonderful and I'll be praying for Ahnalin to find peace and happiness (a friend or two or three :-) in this move and For India to be accepted to the program and for her health to improve greatly! THanks for sharing this big news in your life and I'll be thinking of you often! Meredith

Tabitha O. said...

WOW wow wow....what great news for you all! I will be praying for all of you to find exactly what you need! What a fabulous time....major cyber hugs!!

Ellie Inspired said...

Sivje, your sewing is so beautiful but your heart is even more so. Thanks for letting us know how we can pray for you and congratulations on the new job! I like what your first poster said that God loves to give to His children abundantly. So very true! God's blessings dear friend!

Laura

Anonymous said...

We wish you & your family all the very best Sivje!

RR

Laurie said...

Wonderful news, Sivje! I am so happy for your family! I hope and pray that the transition goes well for your family and that India gets into DCP - our neighbor's grand-daughter went there too! Praying too that you find the right house and that Ahnalin will blossom in her new school & church!

nonie everythingsewing said...

Sivje, thank you so much for sharing such a heart felt story. I feel that through the years I have become to know you and have prayed for you many times. I now know what prayers you need.

Nonie

Nancy said...

Wow- sounds like a good move for you guys and how neat for Don- your story is so encouraging. Can't wait to hear more about it as you go along and get moved there etc. I will pray for smooth smooth transitions!
:)Nancy

Ladette said...

So excited for you all!! Glad to hear that God finally opened where He wanted you to be. Praying for all of you as you adjust and transition and praying for the perfect house for you all.

PTL-- you don't have to sell a house to move! (we still haven't sold ours in CO... it's been 7mos now).

organicmommy said...

you are in my prayers! What an amazing post! THANK YOU so very much for sharing with us what is happening with your family and letting us share in your joy!!!

Tiffany said...

Oh- My friend- You KNOW I am praying for you down here in S. Georgia just as you have done the same for me countless times! I am sooo EXCITED for the changes going on in your life because I know our precious Lord is IN them all. Through all the uncertainty, PTSD, transitions, etc...OUR God loves the details and Hw will prevail and give you peace at the same time! He is so awesome and He is doing an amazing work through your family!!! That is so amazing!!

God is good ALL the time, sweet Sivje, and I am breathless to see what all he has in store for you. Do not fret! Kiss the girls for me and one day I'm coming out there to visit!
Tiffany

Dawn said...

So, that's what's been brewing! I had a feeling that change was heading your way and I couldn't be more thrilled for all of you. Gosh, I totally envy you for moving to Sonoma...trade ya! I know how much you love Williamsburg, but honestly you have the much better zip code! I will keep you all in my heart and in my thoughts and fingers crossed that you will find the perfect little house to call your own very soon! I couldn't be more thrilled for you guys!!! Psssstttt...make sure the new house has a killer sewing space!

Anonymous said...

I will pray and pray. As you have said, God has already answered so many!! I'm thrilled for all your changes.. It sounds as if God has great plans for you and your family. I look forward to seeing those plans unfold. Yippee!!! GOD IS GOOD!

Elisabeth Rose said...

Wonderful news on your move. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and that your whole family finds many blessings, health, and happiness in your new home. Thanks for inspiring me with your beautiful sewing and stories.

Jan said...

Wow, your family is sure busy! Sorry your daughter has an ulcer, I've had that a few years ago. I had a doctor tell me to drink aloe vera juice (from the health food store) to help heal it up. Tastes nasty, but the tummy feels so much better after. Hope both children feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Lovie, I am so blessed by your post on your blog but even more blessed and grateful for the love of your friends that have seen your talents in sewing smocking and singing for Jesus. We,like them, believe the time is now for the many blessings to come forth for your entire family. Your family have been faithful servants and we pray for blessings beyond your greatest expectations. We are very proud to have you as our daughter. Major love from your father and mother.

Ruth said...

Prayers and blessings to you and your family!

Jan M said...

How exciting and frightening at the same time! However, it is obvious that God is leading you and your family, and He can never fail. Prayers and oodles of positive thoughts for each member of your family during this time of change.

Simple Home said...

What wonderful news! I'm thrilled for you, and will be praying for all of you.
Blessings,
Marcia