Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bright Star- A Review.....of sorts


Was there ever a movie that you desperately wanted to love,
yet ended up NOT LOVING it?

Yeah, I know I have not done movie reviews on here before.

But I was so sadly disappointed that I just had to say something.

was that movie for me. 

There had been a beautiful article in Victoria Magazine 
a few issues back showing many 
beautiful photos and descriptions of this story.

The story line is about the Romantic poet John Keats
and his fiancee Fanny Brawne,
and their ill-fated romance.

I won't spoil it for you, 

but...

he dies. 

Well, okay, the story was set in 1818 London, so they both 
would have died a long time ago anyway.


So, why did I want to love this movie so much?

Well, Fanny Brawne was a plucky (don't you just love that word?)
opinionated, free spirit of a girl who 

SEWS!

Yes, Fanny designs and sews her own garments 
and revels in the joys of fabrics, pleats, ruffles,
fine stitching, etc.
And John Keats?

Well, his poetry is beautiful.

And he was a contemporary of my 
beloved Jane Austen.

And for the most part, the reviews were strong.

You see, I HAD to love this movie!


It truly was a beautiful film.


Romantic.

Really.

So, why did I NOT like this movie?

Well, let me tell you. I LOVE 
Jane Austen films, be they the old BBC versions,
or the newer, truncated versions of the stories.

Some may call them "slow".

(MOM!)
I love other romantic period films. 

So, normally I love "slow".

But this film?

No words can adequately express how

SLOW(!!!!!!) this film is.

And shall I tell you about depressing?

Yes, the clothing is really beautiful and fun to see.

The countryside is lovely.

The poetry is flowery and very "Keats-y".

I should probably mention that the film 
was made by Jane Campion.

She is known for her beautiful yet depressing films.

Bright Star is another beautiful yet depressing film. 

And I found that I did not like the characters very much.

It did not grab my attention at any point.

So, is the film worth seeing? 

Yeah, probably.

There is value in this film. 

Just make sure you are not watching it when you are wanting to be cheered up.
__________________________

Now.....back to my regularly scheduled sewing.

I am working on the child and toddler sizes of the Yaya Apron.
Really, I hope to have it done soon!

Really!

And tomorrow, I am heading back to Melissa's house to work more
on her sofa slipcover. 

More pics coming tomorrow!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

the pictures sure are beautiful though....and she sews....thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the Masterpiece theater version of Emma? It's online until March 9th. I should mention that it too is long BUT, IMO, worth every second and it's also 1000X's better than the Gwenyth Paltrow version which I love & own.

From one Jane Austen fan to another.

Goosegirl said...

Yes! I love it!! I am also excited that my FAVORITE Jane Austen story, Persuasion, will be on Masterpiece Classics tonight!!!! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Saying Jane Austin is "slow" is an understatement. UUUGGGHHH!! Can't stand it!! Funny though, my dd, now 20yo, LOVES everything about Jane Austin since she was about 15yo. Didn't get it from me!! lol!!

Can't wait to see the apron! Don't keep us waiting too long.....

~*Aria*~ said...

This is a film I'm desperate to love.