Saturday, September 26, 2009

India is 18!


Just 18 short years ago, a tiny baby was placed on my belly. She was so little, yet strong and curious. As soon as the doctor put her there, she put her little hands down and pushed up to look around the room. The doctor and nurses looked shocked and told me that newborns are not supposed to be able to do that yet. But she was born in the posterior position, so her little neck got really strong, really quickly! She also rolled over the very next day. She was so inquisitive! Ready to take on the world with no fear from that very day.

When India was a baby, Don was on staff at First Presbyterian church in Bellingham, WA. The church was right across the street from Western Washington University. The church had a HUGE university ministry called "The Inn" which met weekly and had a congregation of students MUCH larger than the general congregation of the church. The Inn was staffed with some of the most wonderful women I have ever met. And every time I would walk into the church, one of them would grab India out of my arms and I would not see her again until she was hungry or we needed to leave. India never had a fear or strangers or ever worried about her place in the world. She was just always happy and "OK". She knew she was loved and just loved everyone in return.

India has always been confident in who she is. She has not EVER been a "follower" in any way, except for being a follower of Jesus. She welcomes everyone with open arms and an open heart. She will defend you to the death and encourage you constantly. She is a dreamer and a gifted writer. She is an AMAZING singer and if you ever have the chance to hear her, you will be awed! And her acting ability is simply a gift. Often when she is acting, I forget it is her. I get so drawn in and become so emotional, that I have to stop myself and remember that she is not really homeless, or pregnant, or struggling to survive a concentration camp,...............or a floating princess. Yes, she has played SEVERAL princess roles over the years.


You can't really see it well, but she is wearing a tiara. She has several. She has taken the princess role to heart and wears her tiaras whenever she needs a lift. This was her outfit today. Frilly, sparkly, a fluffy crinoline under her dress, and all together fabulous. She is beautiful. She still is pretty pale but she has been ill quite a bit lately. She does not let that stop her though. I am so proud of my precious girl.


Last night, before we went out to Big A for burgers with Grandma, Grandpa, and Papa, Don gave India a very special present. Very special! He gave her his Seagull acoustic guitar. India LOVES this guitar. She has been in love with this guitar since she was about 8 years old. It has a lovely tone and a small neck, so her little fingers fit around it very nicely. India was in shock that her Daddy would giver her this much loved instrument.
She cried so hard she could barely talk. She will write such beautiful songs on this guitar. And she has the best guitar teacher there is, the giver of the gift.

After her Daddy gave her the guitar, we left for Big A, with it's homemade root beer and decadent burgers. She asked her Daddy what were the things he wanted to know when he turned 18. He did his best to impart all of his wisdom to her while we sat at that table outside the restaurant. It was so sweet.



Here is the Birthday Girl with Grandma, Grandpa, Ahnalin and me. Daddy was taking the picture.


Today was actually India's birthday, yet she had to leave after school for Chamber Choir retreat up in the mountains. So, I ordered a birthday cake for her to share with her friends. Hey, if you have to be stuck in a cabin in the mountains with 40 people you may or may not love, they might as well sing "Happy Birthday" to you, right?


India and her buddy Erin are doing their best to look completely dorky for this picture.

But seconds earlier my beautiful girl looked like this.
So, I kissed my girl goodbye, knowing that the next time I saw her, she would be an "adult". Notice I did not say "Mature Adult".......no....just adult!

 

This is how I have seen her a lot lately. She is working on "Showstoppers" here. Yes, LOTS of phone work. She is getting to hate the phone as much as I do. But, it is a means to an end, and there is much to be done to prepare for the show.


Here, India is directing her singers in a rehearsal of Showstoppers. She is really very good with her direction. Daddy is the accompanist, and India is directing......interesting dynamic, but it is working.



Sorry this is so blurry. I am not good at motion shots! And yes, they were in motion.



Daddy was helping to direct this song, "Seasons of Love" from "Rent" because India is one of the soloists on this ensemble piece. One of the female singers had not arrived yet at rehearsal. But OH! The kids are sounding sooooo good!

Just a cute picture of India and her boyfriend Kevin. He brought her yellow roses, chocolate, and a princess balloon today at school for her birthday. She was over the moon!

I am going to have to scan some baby pictures of my girl. I know I do not show pictures of her as often as I show Ahnalin.  India is so busy and I just don't get her time as much as I used to. But I am proud of my beautiful girl. I love her so very much.

Please pray for her health. I believe that God has HUGE plans for my lovely and talented girl. I pray that good health is part of those plans. Please pray with me that the next two weeks are productive and successful for her with Showstoppers.
Tickets are now available. If you are near Grass Valley, you can see her show on Saturday, October 10th at 7:00PM. Tickets at $10.00 for adults and $7.00 for seniors and students. All profits will go to benefit the Diabetic Youth Foundation.
If you are not nearby but would like to donate to the cause, you can email me at sivjegoose @ sivjegoose .com  (remove the spaces).

Thank you so much for your prayers for my girl.
India, I love you so much and am proud of the woman you have become.

9 comments:

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Oh, Sivje, what a beautiful tribute to your precious India. God has given her a beautiful spirit. He health issues along with her love of life makes me think of Ellie.

God has BIG plans for our girls. He will use them to bring honor and glory to HIMSELF.

Love and blessings,
Robbie

Simone said...

I was showing Carson the pictures of cousin India and he, "Boy, she is pretty."

How long of a drive is it from here to Grass Valley? I would love to see the show!?

Goosegirl said...

Thanks girls!
Simone, Grass Valley is approx. 5 hours from Ashland. We would love to see you all! That weekend will be crazy, but fun.
The only thing is that I would not have anywhere for you to stay since we are going to be full here.

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday India!

seamsgreat said...

Happy Birthday India!

Sivje, I am sending you a Kreativ Blogger award. ~janet

DidaHeart said...

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MOMMY!!! thank you so much for this incredibly beautiful post about me and how much you love me!!! this lifted my day and i love you so much. always your baby (no matter how (not) tall i get)
love baby dida

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, my goodness, I remember when you were a freshman! The time - it flies. Happy birthday, India, a few days late.

April said...

Such a sweet post, Sivje - I love the Tiara picture best of all and that she actually still enjoys wearing it. I hope our SweetPea still knows she is a Princess at age 18. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Siv!
Please give India a warm Happy Birthday from Anna and me!!:)
The pic that was blurry? Well, I just thought it was the tears in my eyes from your sweet post!

Take care,
hollym.