This lovely lady is going to be a bridesmaid
in her sister's wedding in a few months.
And I was blessed to sew her dress for her.
I get to sew her younger sister's matching dress as well.
They are both just gorgeous girls!
They chose Butterick 5457 for the dress pattern,
and we made a few modifications.
I made a muslin for each girl,
and I am so glad I did.
According to the measurements,
Stesha would have worn a size 12,
yet a size 6 completely swam on her.
If the pattern had come in a size 2,
that may have been close to fitting her.
I am showing the dress on my child size 7/8
I had to keep taking it in and taking it in,
so that muslin was pretty marked up
by the time I cut into the shantung.
I love how the bodice is tucked.
The pleats are sewn at the top and
where the bodice meets the midruff,
but they are loose through the length of the bodice.
But the pleated bodice and rouched
midriff really make a lovely, feminine garment.
This doesn't show up very well,
but there is a small ruffle of shell pink organza sewn
to the lining under the skirt.
I love the ethereal look it gives.
I cut 3 inches off the bottom
of the lining front and back pieces.
Then I cut the ruffle strips 7 inches long by the full
width of the organza fabric.
I sewed two strips together and then
folded them over, encasing the seams,
so the organza was doubled.
Then I slightly gathered the doubled strip
and attached it to the bottom of the lining,
serging it in place.
I took many notes on the changes I made to this pattern,
so I can reproduce it for the next dress.
I really liked this pattern,
but I am so very glad I made a muslin.
I get a little frustrated with how inaccurate
the sizing is in the major pattern companies.
But the end result was a really pretty dress.
And I think it showcases Stesha's beauty quite well.
If you have not entered my giveaway for the current
issue of Sew Beautiful Magazine,
where you will find an article that I co-wrote,
go enter HERE.