Monday, July 28, 2014

Sailor Inspired Vintage Natalie Dresses for A Family Portrait


Oh I love these girls!

Last week I wrote about the dress I made for India
to wear at a family reunion celebrating my parents'
50th anniversary.

Today I will be writing about the dresses 
I made for Ahnalin and my niece.


Once (and twice) again,
I am using my beloved "Vintage Natalie" patterns
that my friend Janet Gilbert
designed for Sew Beautiful Magazine. 

for my niece and the pattern

You can purchase the patterns by clicking
on the bolded links above.
If you don't have them already, 
I suggest buying them right away.
 Sew Beautiful is no longer being published
and I have no idea what the plans are for the availability
of these amazingly beautiful patterns.



I love this pattern.
I am pretty sure it is my favorite pattern.






I know I have also sewn it a few more times for
custom orders,
but somehow I put them in the mail before I took photos.
Not smart, I know! 



But you can see how much I love this pattern!

For these dresses,
I cut the traditional mid-calf length.
I cut a size 8 for Ahnalin and a size 6 for Cherish.


My mother had requested a sailor style
navy dress with white and lemon yellow trim.

After being unsuccessful in finding 
ribbon trim with a nautical theme in those colors,
I chose my beloved white rick rack
and lemon yellow ribbon as accents.

Ahnalin chose the yellow flower buttons. 


My darling niece.
 

I used the tab belt with ribbon for the back.

I used the same navy blue cotton sateen,
with 97% and 3% spandex for these dresses.

My mom ordered the hats online.

This pattern is so well written and the fit is so perfect!
The instructions are very well written and
the construction goes together beautifully.
It is a very versatile pattern!

I think next time, 
and there will definitely be a next time,
I will use a border print!

 


Our three lovie girls and my dad photobombing with his
yellow shorts!


Grandpa John John and Grandma Barbara with their grandgirls.



Me and my girls.




I have a few customs to finish today
and I hope I remember to take some photos
before I pop them into the mail!

Happy Sewing!

Sivje

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE DARLING GIRLS!!!! Siv, you did a super wonderful job on them so thank you so very much for being so talented!!!! Love from your mother. I always have to sign is as anonymous because that is the only way it works for me. Love you mucho!!!

Angela said...

Beautiful family (and beautifully dressed)! I am sorry to find out that Sew Beautiful is no longer being published. I am glad I saved my back issues. One of these days I hope to use them again if I ever have granddaughters.

Jenny Jo said...

Lo-ove your Natalies!

Unknown said...

Customers can now buy designer kurtis online from Kalkifashion.com which is the leading ethnic Indian wear store in Mumbai that sells an extensive range of bridal wear, party wear, casual wear and festive wear for women in rich colors and in intricate hand embroidery patterns that is sure to transform your looks.

William Brown said...

Lovely family picture with beautiful dresses......

i like your dress...

Very informative blog.....thanks for sharing with us...

Book online bus ticket from Redbus