Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hearts For Hannah


Oh how I love to be a part
of the miracle that takes place when a child
joins a family through adoption.

And I was blessed to pray for a little girl in China named
Hannah, who will be 
joining her loving family very soon.

You can read all about here on her mother, 

 
One of the most special times in any Internationally Adoptive 
Family's journey is that moment when they
arrive in the airport with their
new child.

They are joyously greeted by awaiting family members
and friends.

In many cases, the child becomes an American 
citizen when they go through Immigration in the airport.

And so it is a beautiful tradition for the newly adopted child
to be dressed in patriotic clothing.


Hannah's mommy asked that I make her 
a smocked dress that would celebrate this exciting day!

I chose the smock plate by Creative Keepsakes
called "Love My Country".
 
The smock plate is actually designed for 
an insert or yoke dress but I was able
to adapt it for a bishop style quite easily. 



I simply back smocked in a wave pattern
instead of the normal cable that would have been used for an insert.

I also had to pay special attention to the sleeve seams
which were a bit bulkier than the rest.
 
I chose Imperial Broadcloth
because I love how beautifully it holds its shape
and looks crisp even when it has been smashed in a suitcase.

I ordered all my supplies from 
a wonderful shop called
and was so pleased with how perfectly 
everything arrived. 

Oh, and one more note.

Every time I sew something for a client,
friend or family member,
I pray for them as I stitch. 

So it is an even bigger blessing for me!

Hannah, I can not wait to see pictures of you in your mommy's arms!

11 comments:

Ellie Inspired said...

Beautiful and perfect dress for her special day! You are such a blessing to others.

Erica said...

It is beautiful!

Ruth said...

A prayer as you stitch---beautiful. Lovely smocking, lovely dress. Congratulations to the adoptive family!

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled with how beautifully it turned out! I absolutely can't wait to see her in it! Thank you for being a special part of our journey. Your prayers are so appreciated.

Jan M said...

I knew when I packed this fabric and smocking plate it would become something special, because that is just what you do! I had no idea how very special. Wishing the new family much joy as Hannah comes home!

Laurie said...

Awe - such a beautiful dress for something soooo special! I just did the same thing for one of our pastor's and wife who are adopting siblings from Russia. I plan to do a blog post about it next week!

Dolores said...

I do love smocking but haven't done it in years. Perhaps I will get back into it with the first grandchild on the way. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Julia said...

This dress is wonderful!!! What a lucky little girl, both for being adopted and for receiving such a beautiful dress!

Piper said...

What a perfectly smocked bishop! Love that plate and I may have to add it to my stash. A very special dress for a very special little girl!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful sewing story.. and such a beautiful dress. It all part of such a huge life-changing event. So many blessings all around.

Simple Home said...

She is going to look so pretty in that dress. You did a beautiful job. It's really incredible!
Blessings,
Marcia